And now a diversion from most of my geeky posts! I’ve just finished (well, as “finished” as most of my musical projects get) my latest track: “The Pleiades”, featuring the talents of my sister, psy-trance producer Spinney Lainey on flute. I’ve still got a long way to go on my journey through the world of music production, but this is the first thing I’ve felt more or less happy with and wanted to share it with the world. Hope you enjoy!
I’m a DevOps architect, musician, science nerd, animal lover and all-round geek. If it’s got shiny lights on it, makes loud noises or purrs when you stroke it, I’m all for it. When I’m not writing code or fiddling with computers for a living, I provide the low-end rumble and run sound for bands around West Sussex.
You May Also Enjoy
Earlier this year, I finally discovered as an adult that I am “on the spectrum” with what used to be called Asperger’s Syndrome. The diagnosis helped make sense of a lot things and has given me a greater insight into my “way of being in the world”. Whilst there are times I struggle with things that neuro-typical people usually find easy, or I find some situations draining, the condition has also brought me many positives which often get overlooked when talking about Autis...
In Part 3 I covered the backend server processes and protocols, CI/CD pipelines and unit tests I used to build the TNFS site. In this (much shorter) part, I’d like to take a step back from the hardcore geekery, and wrap up with my thoughts on the whole thing.
In Part 2 I discussed the server environment, as well as how I built and launched the first prototype version of the site. I hit some speedbumps along the way and quickly reached the limits of what I could do with a pure client-only 1980s BASIC codebase. In this part, I’ll look at how I moved to a backend API system and how all this is deployed and tested.
In Part 1, I explored the hardware and development environment. In this article, I’ll cover the server-side components as well as coding and launching the first iteration of the site along with some of the limitations I encountered when programming on such an old system.